Tribhuvan International Airport is the only international airport in Nepal. Immigration Office, TIA (Tribhuvan International Airport) under the Department of Immigration has been facilitating tourists flying to Nepal by providing Visa on Arrival. Likewise, other Entry and Exit points established at the border regions also provide ‘ On Arrival Visa’ to foreign nationals hoping enter to Nepal via land.
If you have obtained a visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions, then you must enter Nepal within six months from the visa-issued date. Your total stay is counted starting from the day you enter Nepal. ON Arrival Visas are ‘Tourist Visas’. They bear multiple Re entry facilities. Tourist Visa ‘On Arrival’ is the only entry visa to Nepal. If you are visiting Nepal for purposes other than Tourism (sightseeing, tour, travel, mountaineering, trekking, visiting friends and families), you should still get a ‘Tourist Visa’ to get into the country. However, you must change the category of visa as per your purpose and length of stay in Nepal from the Department of Immigration by producing the required documents.
Nationals of designated countries are requested to acquire Visa prior to their arrival from their nearby Diplomatic missions (Embassies/consulates) of the Nepal Government. Check the link to make sure your eligibility for visa ‘On Arrival’.
Tourist Visa Details
‘On Arrival’ and Tourist visa procedure is very quick and simple. You can expect some queues during peak Tourist season. If you wish to skip those queues, you can also consider getting Visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions stationed abroad prior to your arrival. The choice is yours.
Nationals of the following countries are requested to acquire Visa prior to their arrival from their nearby Diplomatic missions (Embassies/consulates) of the Nepal Government.
- Refugees with travel document
Please follow these simple procedures for Tourist Visa on Arrival at the airport (TIA) if you have not acquired Visa prior to boarding the plane.
Process for Getting On Arrival Visa for Nepal
Once you arrive at the airport, please follow these simple procedures for Tourist Visa on Arrival.
- 1st Step
- Fill in ‘ Arrival Card ‘
- Fill in Online ‘Tourist Visa ‘form ( you can fill it up prior to your arrival visiting official website of Department of Immigration / fill it up using Kiosk machines upon your arrival at the airport). If you fill it from the website, you will get submission Receipt with barcode, please print it out and bring it along for acquiring visa. It works for fifteen days and becomes invalid then after. If so, you will have to fill it up again.
- 2nd Step
- Make payment at the bank according to your visa requirement ( 15/30/90 Days)
- Get the receipt
While you can use different modes of payments (at the visa fees collection counter), we advise you to carry some cash to be on the safe side.
On Arrival Visa Fees in Nepal
The visa fees for on arrival tourist or visit visa is categorized in three stay-period:
- 15 Days – 30 USD
- 30 Days – 50 USD
- 90 Days – 125 USD
- 3rd Step
- Proceed to the Immigration Desk with your online form, payment receipts and your passport
- Hand in your documents to immigration officer for visa processing. He/she issues visa to you upon his/her satisfaction.
Gratis Visa (Visa for Free)
Gratis Visa is issued free of cost in case of the following categories of Visa applicants:
- Children below 10 years
- Up to 30 days for SAARC Citizens (except Afghanistan) once in a given visa Year. Afghan citizens are eligible for Visa on Arrival only upon the recommendation of Department of Immigration. If you are an Afghan citizen, you can request concerned institution inviting you to Nepal for necessary paperwork with Department of Immigration to get you Gratis Visa ‘On Arrival’.
- Non Residential Nepalese(NRN) card holder ( issued by MoFA /Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad)
- Chinese Nationals
Officials from China, Brazil, Russia, and Thailand do not need Entry Visa based on reciprocal visa waiver Agreement
Visas of all kinds including ‘Gratis’ issued at the Airport are Tourist Visas. Contact the Department of Immigration for extending your visa or changing the category of your visa. Tourist Visa extension can be done from Immigration Office, Pokhara too. Non-tourist visa extension can be done only at the Department of Immigration (if eligible) for a period of a maximum of one year (except business visa).
Advice for Online Applicants or On Arrival Visa in Nepal
In order to avoid long queues and unnecessary problems, kindly submit a complete Online Visa Application form to the Immigration Authority of Nepal on your first attempt! To do that, here are a few things you need to prepare:
- Please keep your valid passport at hand.
- Ready a recent digital photograph (size: 1.5” x 1.5”) in your removable device to upload your photograph for the application.
- Gather beforehand
- a detailed permanent residence address, and
- detailed address in Nepal.
- You need to provide telephone numbers—land-line and mobile.
- You need to provide your email address too.
- The submitted application will remain in the system for 15 days. After 15 days, the application will be deleted automatically from the system.
- Once the application is successfully submitted, a receipt will be sent to your email immediately.
- Print the receipt and keep it with you as you need to produce it before the Immigration Authority.
- For your convenience, the deadline to contact the Immigration Authority will be mentioned in the receipt.
- The receipt also mentions about the documents you need to produce before the Immigration Authority.
- Please contact the Immigration Authority within 15 days after the submission of application.
- For example, if you submit your extension application today, and your visa is expiring the next day, on the third day if you visit the Department of Immigration, you will have to pay late fee of that day. In order to prevent this sort of hassle, please submit your extension application on time and get your visa renewed before crossing the expiry date.
- When you contact the Immigration Authority, please make sure you have the receipt and proper documents with you including the necessary fee.
- No on arrival visa for country list – AFG,IRQ,CMR,GHA,SOM,SWZ,PSE,ZWE,NGA,ETH,LBR
APPLICATION FOR TOURIST VISA
To Apply for Tourist Visa, please click here.